University Heights Rehab & Care is located in Aurora, Colorado, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. Sporting an overall grade of C, this looks like a middle of the road nursing home. Based on our assessment, this place ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its impressive nursing rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
University Heights Rehab & Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this proved to be a decent nursing home is that it earned a very favorable nursing score. Its nursing grade is its best category. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our more impressive grades. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about University Heights Rehab & Care?
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection score was strong as well. In fact, we awarded it a B for its inspection reports, which is one of our better scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst category was long-term care, which is the last area we looked at. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category. Even with a few respectable grades in other categories, this grade is nevertheless concerning so we wanted to point it out. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 91.69231 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University Heights Rehab & Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have experienced falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 3.91% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 84.62% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In University Heights Rehab & Care, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 1.29 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)0.12 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)0.54 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)0.67 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.1.31 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)1.44 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis1.57 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)2.59 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- Montbello Dialysis4.01 miles away4834 Chambers Road Denver Colorado 80239Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 371-1502