University East Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Deland, Florida. The city has a total of 61,526 people. With an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in Deland. In spite of all this, this facility did just fine in our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
University East Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that had a long list of severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in that category. As it turns out, this proved to be one of its better grades. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is often a reliable assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. With a grade this poor for this area, we weren't stunned to discover this place was below average in the two key staffing metrics we focus on. The nursing home supplied substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about University East Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second least favorable score is long-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that area. This is a well below average score. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 73.376625 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
The last area we graded is nursing, where this nursing home received a rock bottom score in this area also. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is obviously very concerning. Our nursing rating includes several data points. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University East Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University East Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Deland, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Deland, Florida has 6 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth DelandAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away701 W Plymouth Ave Deland Florida 32720Voluntary non-profit - Church(386) 943-4772
- Adventhealth Fish MemorialAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away1055 Saxon Blvd Orange City Florida 32763Voluntary non-profit - Church(386) 917-5000
- Central Florida Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.58 miles away1401 W Seminole Blvd Sanford Florida 32771Proprietary(407) 321-4500
- Halifax Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.57 miles away303 N Clyde Morris Blvd Daytona Beach Florida 32114Government - Hospital District or Authority(386) 254-4000
- Deland Dialysis0.05 miles away350 East New York Avenue Deland Florida 32724CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (386) 738-2570
- Orange City Dialysis5.87 miles away2575 S Volusia Ave #400 Orange City Florida 32763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (386) 774-0101
- Deltona Dialysis8.98 miles away1200 Deltona Blvd Ste 26 Deltona Florida 32725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (386) 574-0225
- Fmc - Sanford14.89 miles away419 E First St Sanford Florida 32771CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (407) 688-6765
- Sanford Dialysis14.89 miles away1701 W 1st St Sanford Florida 32771CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (407) 268-9425
- Daytona South Dialysis18.45 miles away1801 S Nova Rd #306 Daytona Beach Florida 32119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (386) 322-3625
- Dialysis Care Center of Daytona18.57 miles away720 Clyde Morris Blvd Daytona Beach Florida 32114Dialysis Stations: 17 (386) 947-9872
- Daytona Beach Dialysis18.57 miles away578 Health Blvd Daytona Beach Florida 32114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (386) 258-7322