University Crossing is located in Jacksonville, Florida, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. It looks like this nursing home is one of the better facilities we assessed. A score of this caliber requires high-end marks across the board. Indeed, this proved to be one of the 10 best nursing homes in the city. You also may want to review this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall score, this facility excelled at short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most important for people in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a dominant long-term care score. Indeed, this turned out to be this nursing home's second best category score. In that area, this facility received a score of A. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about University Crossing?
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The last category we assessed is nursing. We awarded this facility an acceptable score in this category, with a B-. While this isn't as strong as several of its other grades, it is still not the end of the world. The nursing grade considers a number of factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, while this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this subcategory.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University Crossing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University Crossing, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University Crossing, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University Crossing, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University Crossing, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University Crossing, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University Crossing, 2.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University Crossing, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University Crossing, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University Crossing, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In University Crossing, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University Crossing, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In University Crossing, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In University Crossing, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 30 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.77 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Baptist Medical Center - BeachesAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away1350 13th Ave S Jacksonville Beach Florida 32250Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 247-2900
- Memorial Plaza Dialysis0.46 miles away3901 University Blvd S #111 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 18 (904) 731-0247
- Bma of Florida, Incorporated1.92 miles away5730 Bowden Road Suite 110 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 419-0273
- Kidney Kare of Jacksonville, Inc2.41 miles away4168 Southpoint Parkway Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 8 (904) 332-8004
- Dialysis Clinic Inc of Southpoint2.6 miles away11705 San Jose Blvd Suite 100 Jacksonville Florida 32223CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 296-6362
- Nxstage Kidney Care - Jacksonville2.88 miles away2777 University Blvd W #39 Jacksonville Florida 32217Dialysis Stations: 10 (904) 527-5322
- Bma - Jacksonville3.13 miles away1944 Atlantic Blvd Jacksonville Florida 32207Dialysis Stations: 18 (904) 396-7203
- Regency Dialysis Center3.78 miles away9535 Regency Square Blvd Jacksonville Florida 32225CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 725-0526
- Bma - Saint Johns4.24 miles away3132 Saint Johns Bluff Rd S Jacksonville Florida 32246Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 641-0806