With an address in New Rochelle, New York, United Hebrew Geriatric Center is one of six available facilities in this city. This nursing home turns out to be an A rated facility, which is one of the top grades that we offer. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the United States. This facility also received phenomenal scores in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
United Hebrew Geriatric Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
391 Pelham Road,
New Rochelle NY 10805
83.61% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this place an A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its fine resume, this facility also received a strong short-term care score, with a grade of A. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about United Hebrew Geriatric Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 93.409096 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next area we assessed is nursing, where this nursing home was given a grade of B. Even though this ended up being its lowest category score, this is nevertheless a strong rating. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
United Hebrew Geriatric Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which suffered from a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 13.2% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In United Hebrew Geriatric Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for New Rochelle, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? New Rochelle, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.19 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Westchester Center for Renal Care2.69 miles away10 Claremont Ave Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 9 (914) 512-9379
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center2.89 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis3.07 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035
- Mount Vernon Dialysis,LLC3.35 miles away12 North 7th Avenue 3rd Floor Mount Vernon New York 10550CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 665-4343
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center3.48 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC3.71 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Laconia Dialysis3.94 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538