Located in Trussville, Alabama, Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center is the sole facility located in the area. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires solid scores in most areas. Based on our analysis, you can do much worse than this facility. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially would like to emphasize its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this area. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the category of short-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this area. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given a strong long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The next area we assessed was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this subcategory. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving residents more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.27% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 92.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Trussville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 13.59 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 13.73 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.88 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp0.43 miles away218 Main Street Suite 114 & 118 Trussville Alabama 35173Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 655-0871
- Fresenius Medical Care Trussville, LLC1.51 miles away3671 Roosevelt Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35235Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 655-0961
- Birmingham East Dialysis4.49 miles away1105 East Park Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 833-6003
- Davita Center Point Dialysis4.77 miles away2337 1st St Ne Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 520-1108
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.5.07 miles away9540 Parkway E Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 838-2652
- Leeds Dialysis6.23 miles away1650 Maxey Drive Leeds Alabama 35094Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 699-5383
- Dci Birmingham6.72 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Fmc Montclair8.42 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010