University Health Lakewood Medical Center is a large hospital-based facility located in Kansas City, Missouri. It looks like this is a good nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. In fact, we thought highly enough of this nursing home to rate it ahead of most of the facilities in Kansas City. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
University Health Lakewood Medical Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
7900 Lee's Summit Road,
Kansas City MO 64139
89.52% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the main reasons this proved to be a strong facility is that it received a very impressive long-term care grade. This ended up being its best category. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Even though we determined this nursing home has a favorable amount of nursing hours provided by nurses and other nursing staff, we found its vaccine statistics to be somewhat below average. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 89.51613 percent of its patients. This is a figure we would love to see this facility improve on. Fortunately, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 1.22 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a substantially lower hospitalization rate than the average nursing home.
This facility also performed well in inspections, which is based on its inspections. We gave it an A- for that area, which is one of our top scores. Our inspection grades are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspections. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about University Health Lakewood Medical Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was short-term care, where this facility was awarded a C in this area. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is physical therapy hours. We found that it offers at least 50% more hours with physical therapists to its residents than most other facilities. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that it fared better than most facilities in this area with 49.2 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, at most facilities, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Our final area is nursing, where we awarded this facility a C in this area. Our nursing grade includes a number of data points. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This place provides an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Lastly, we also factored a few quality measures into our nursing grades. This place was relatively weak in two of the data points we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its patients' pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are usually good indicators of the quality of nursing care available.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University Health Lakewood Medical Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 9.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 3.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 20.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 24.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 4.04% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 89.97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 14.55% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 15.54% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University Health Lakewood Medical Center, 15.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 19 other nursing homes
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Saint Luke's East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.37 miles away100 N E Saint Luke's Boulevard Lees Summit Missouri 64086Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 347-5000
- Centerpoint Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away19600 East 39th Street Independence Missouri 64057Proprietary(816) 698-7000
- Lee's Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away2100 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Proprietary(816) 282-5000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away201 Nw R D Mize Rd Blue Springs Missouri 64014Voluntary non-profit - Church(816) 228-5900
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.88 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Isd - Lee's Summit Renal Center2.28 miles away100 Ne Missouri Rd Suite 100 Lees Summit Missouri 64086CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (816) 524-3312
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Raytown3.81 miles away11503 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 353-3080
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Lees Summit3.97 miles away219 Nw Executive Way Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-2711
- Eastland Dialysis4.69 miles away19101 E Valley View Pkwy Ste E Independence Missouri 64055Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 795-6018
- Lee's Summit Dialysis5.61 miles away1831 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-1950
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis5.74 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100
- Fmc - Centerpoint5.86 miles away19401 E 37th Terrace Court South Suite 200 Independence Missouri 64057Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 795-6559
- Fmc - Blue Springs8.16 miles away505 Ne Adams Dairy Parkway Suite B Blue Springs Missouri 64014CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (816) 229-2400