Truman Gardens is a nursing home in Independence, Missouri. This city has 123,373 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some solid scores. This nursing home seems to have a few things working in its favor. The best part of this place's profile was is its long-term care grade. We discuss long-term care in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's best grade came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 95.90164 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an B+. Our nursing rating includes many datapoints, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Truman Gardens?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a favorable score in our short-term care category. We gave this nursing home a better than average grade of B+ in this category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is often a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This wasn't one of this nursing home's stronger areas. We gave it a D in this area. Since this data is collected by government inspectors, we tend to take this one very seriously. Inspection ratings factor in many items on the facility's recent inspection reports. When you see too many deficiencies on the reports, this is generally the worst sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines amounting to over $100,000. This typically suggests that a nursing home's bad performance has been an issue for several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Truman Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Truman Gardens, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Truman Gardens, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who experienced a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Truman Gardens, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Truman Gardens, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Truman Gardens, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Truman Gardens, 4.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Truman Gardens, 88.53% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Truman Gardens, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Truman Gardens, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Truman Gardens, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Truman Gardens, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Truman Gardens, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Independence, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Independence, Missouri has 8 other nursing homes
- Centerpoint Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away19600 East 39th Street Independence Missouri 64057Proprietary(816) 698-7000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away201 Nw R D Mize Rd Blue Springs Missouri 64014Voluntary non-profit - Church(816) 228-5900
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Saint Luke's East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away100 N E Saint Luke's Boulevard Lees Summit Missouri 64086Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 347-5000
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 11 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Eastland Dialysis2.85 miles away19101 E Valley View Pkwy Ste E Independence Missouri 64055Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 795-6018
- Fmc - Centerpoint3.37 miles away19401 E 37th Terrace Court South Suite 200 Independence Missouri 64057Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 795-6559
- Independence Dialysis Center4.31 miles away1135 S. Claremont Independence Missouri 64054Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 836-1220
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Raytown6.08 miles away11503 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 353-3080
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis7.58 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100
- Fmc - Blue Springs7.6 miles away505 Ne Adams Dairy Parkway Suite B Blue Springs Missouri 64014CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (816) 229-2400
- Swope Dialysis9.01 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Isd - Lee's Summit Renal Center9.21 miles away100 Ne Missouri Rd Suite 100 Lees Summit Missouri 64086CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (816) 524-3312