Trucare Living Centers - Selma is a senior living facility located in Schertz, Texas, which has a total of 30,347 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range generally suggests a few red flags. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Schertz, which is also very poor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Trucare Living Centers - Selma
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
16550 Retama Parkway,
Schertz TX 78154
60.85% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with too many deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a middle of the pack score in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Long-term care grades focus on a nursing home's personal care rather than the skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. The last datapoint we assessed is the facility's hospitalization rate. We found that this nursing home had 1.91 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is not too far off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Trucare Living Centers - Selma?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the road score in the area of short-term care, with a grade of C. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most critical for individuals requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This place outperformed most facilities in this area with 57 percent of its patients returning home. This really bolstered its score in this area.
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home didn't perform very well in this category either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is about as terrible as it gets. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averaged a meager 3.1 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. To pair with its low totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this nursing home also didn't fare as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing ratings. We looked at the percent of patients sustaining major falls and pressure ulcers. This facility had more falls and pressure ulcers than the average facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Trucare Living Centers - Selma Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which have experienced falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 95.06% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.48 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 15.25 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 16.03 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp2.5 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Rsa Schertz3.18 miles away5000 Baptist Health Dr Suite 124 Schertz Texas 78154Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 659-6070
- Live Oak Dialysis3.22 miles away6700 Randolph Blvd Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 590-0103
- Fmc - Village Oaks Kidney Disease Clinc3.27 miles away11701 Toepperwein Rd San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 655-4005
- Marymount Dialysis Center7.53 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center9.29 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Stone Oak Dialysis9.66 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center10.05 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201