Trucare Living Centers - Selma is located in Schertz, Texas. This is not a very good nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Schertz. Based on our analysis, this nursing home likely isn't a great fit for most people. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Trucare Living Centers - Selma
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
16550 Retama Parkway,
Schertz TX 78154
67.73% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent grade in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid facilities with too many deficiencies flagged. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care score ended up being one of its higher grades. The facility received a grade of C in this area. Our long-term care scores are more important for those in need of more traditional services associated with activities of daily living. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.62687 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Trucare Living Centers - Selma?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is not a very good score. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a fair measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.4 percent of its residents returning home.
The next area we looked at was nursing, where this nursing home was given a very poor grade in this category as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is definitely very concerning. When determining a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This place offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Trucare Living Centers - Selma Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Trucare Living Centers - Selma, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.48 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 15.25 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 16.03 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp2.5 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Rsa Schertz3.18 miles away5000 Baptist Health Dr Suite 124 Schertz Texas 78154Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 659-6070
- Live Oak Dialysis3.22 miles away6700 Randolph Blvd Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 590-0103
- Fmc - Village Oaks Kidney Disease Clinc3.27 miles away11701 Toepperwein Rd San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 655-4005
- Marymount Dialysis Center7.53 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center9.29 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Stone Oak Dialysis9.66 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center10.05 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201