Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon is a senior living facility located in Irwin, Pennsylvania, which has a population of 45,286 people. It looks like this facility is a subpar facility. A score in this range suggests we found a few red flags. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Irwin. The city has just one other nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B. Our inspection grades are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second best category ended up being short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a relatively low total compared to most other nursing homes. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home did not fare well in this category either. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is about as terrible as it gets. Facilities that do not score well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated only 82.90322 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 3.23% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 88.5% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Transitions Healthcare North Huntingdon, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Excela Health Westmoreland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away532 West Pittsburgh Street Greensburg Pennsylvania 15601Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 832-4000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Excela Health Frick HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away508 South Church Street Mount Pleasant Pennsylvania 15666Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 547-1500
- Monongahela Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.13 miles away1163 Country Club Road Monongahela Pennsylvania 15063Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 258-1000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid-Atlantic Inc.4.01 miles away4044 Route 130, Suite 100 Irwin Pennsylvania 15642Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 744-0713
- Dialysis Clinic Inc - Hempfield4.57 miles away6710 State Route 30 Jeannette Pennsylvania 15644Dialysis Stations: 24 (724) 523-6386
- Davita - Lincoln Way Dialysis5.69 miles away1303 Lincoln Way, Suite A Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 673-1191
- Davita - Mckeesport West Dialysis5.83 miles away101 9th Street Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 672-3720
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greensburg5.87 miles away1003 North Greengate Road Greensburg Pennsylvania 15601Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 832-8061
- Davita - Mckeesport Dialysis6.3 miles awayOak Park Mall 2001 Lincoln Way Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 678-0183
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Murrysville7.94 miles away20 Wesco Lane Export Pennsylvania 15632Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 325-5445
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - North Versailles8.07 miles away613 East Pittsburgh Mckeesport Boulevard North Versailles Pennsylvania 15137Dialysis Stations: 19 (412) 675-0960