Located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Thornwald Home is one of eight available facilities in this city. This is an A rated facility. This nursing home received one of the best ratings we offer. A score of this caliber requires top-notch marks across the board. Based on our assessment, this facility is really as good as it gets. Headlining this place's stellar profile is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Thornwald Home?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is long-term care. Contributing to its high-end profile, this nursing home also performed well in this area. In fact, it received a grade of of A- for the area. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 96.26866 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final area, this facility also received a first-rate short-term care grade, with a B+. This rounded out a very impressive report card. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Thornwald Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Thornwald Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Thornwald Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Thornwald Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Thornwald Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Thornwald Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Thornwald Home, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Thornwald Home, 88.22% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Thornwald Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Thornwald Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Thornwald Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Thornwald Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Thornwald Home, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Thornwald Home, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Carlisle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Carlisle, Pennsylvania has 7 other nursing homes
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.28 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 17.32 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- u.s. Renal Care - Carlisle0.49 miles away101 Noble Boulevard, Suite 103 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 14 (717) 258-3099
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cumberland1.25 miles away254 East High Street Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 240-2944
- Wooten Dialysis, LLC1.55 miles away419 Village Dr., Suite 10 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 218-5104
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC9.93 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg10.79 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill14.48 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.15.18 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill15.24 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800