With an address in Medfield, Massachusetts, Thomas Upham House is the sole facility we found in this area. It looks like this nursing home is one of the most elite facilities we looked at. A score in this range requires first-rate scores across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top ten percentile of all facilities nationally. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also strong. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Thomas Upham House
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.17355 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Thomas Upham House?
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection grades are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. It does not appear that we have deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this category. This rounded out a very impressive profile. In the area of short-term care, we strive to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Thomas Upham House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Thomas Upham House, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Thomas Upham House, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Thomas Upham House, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Thomas Upham House, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Thomas Upham House, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Thomas Upham House, 1.95% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Thomas Upham House, 91.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Thomas Upham House, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Thomas Upham House, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Thomas Upham House, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Thomas Upham House, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Thomas Upham House, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Thomas Upham House, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 4.49 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.69 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)6.54 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Us Renal Care Foxborough Dialysis7.22 miles away10 Lincoln Rd Suite 101 Foxboro Massachusetts 02035Dialysis Stations: 9 (774) 215-5696
- Fresenius Medical Care Framingham9.42 miles away110 Mt. Wayte Ave. Framingham Massachusetts 01702CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 628-3801
- Wellesley Dialysis9.7 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC11.11 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Blackstone Valley11.55 miles away42 Cape Road Milford Massachusetts 01757CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 634-4331
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner13.13 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston13.51 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592