The Waters of Smyrna is an average-sized nursing home in Smyrna, Tennessee. We gave this nursing home an overall score of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Smyrna. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this nursing home earned a decent score in the area of long-term care. We provide additional information about this category below.
The Waters of Smyrna
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
202 Enon Springs Road East,
Smyrna TN 37167
77.47% estimated occupancy 1
Note: The Waters of Smyrna has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in that category. As it turns out, this wound up being one of its better grades. Our short-term care grade is typically used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Given its score in this area, we were not surprised to learn that this place was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Waters of Smyrna?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care grade. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 95.51569 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The last category we analyzed was nursing. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is a very poor grade. There are a variety of data points within this category. Many of the data points relate to nurse staffing. This place provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Waters of Smyrna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Waters of Smyrna, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Waters of Smyrna, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Waters of Smyrna, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Waters of Smyrna, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Waters of Smyrna, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Waters of Smyrna, 9.14% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Waters of Smyrna, 88.31% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Waters of Smyrna, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Waters of Smyrna, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Waters of Smyrna, 1.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Waters of Smyrna, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Waters of Smyrna, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Waters of Smyrna, 74.44% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Tristar Stonecrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away200 Stonecrest Boulevard Smyrna Tennessee 37167Proprietary(615) 768-2000
- Saint Thomas Rutherford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.24 miles away1700 Medical Center Parkway Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Voluntary non-profit - Church(615) 396-4100
- Tristar Southern Hills Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away391 Wallace Rd Nashville Tennessee 37211Proprietary(615) 781-4000
- Tristar Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away5655 Frist Blvd Hermitage Tennessee 37076Proprietary(615) 316-3000
- Williamson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away4321 Carothers Parkway Franklin Tennessee 37067Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 435-5000
- Rolling Hills Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 17.83 miles away2014 Quail Hollow Circle Franklin Tennessee 37067Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 226-4930
- Tennova Healthcare-LebanonAcute Care Hospitals 19.77 miles away1411 Baddour Parkway Lebanon Tennessee 37087Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 444-8262
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.89 miles away1211 Medical Center Drive Nashville Tennessee 37232Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 322-3454
- Fmc Dialysis Assoc. Of Smyrna0.8 miles away10519 Cedar Grove Rd Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 16 (615) 220-1739
- Davita Smyrna2.98 miles away537 Stonecrest Pkwy Suite 110 Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 220-2716
- Dci Murfreesboro9.03 miles away1617 Williams Drive Suite 100 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (615) 890-7741
- Dialysis Assoc. Of Murfreesboro-Ht9.13 miles away1524 Williams Drive, Suite 200 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 904-6994
- Dialysis Associate, LLC9.85 miles away5214 Hickory Hollow Parkway Antioch Tennessee 37013Dialysis Stations: 17 (615) 731-6368
- Murfreesboro Dialysis10.62 miles away1346 Dow St. Murfreesboro Tennessee 37130Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 890-7270
- Davita Woodbine Dialysis12.57 miles away5209 Linbar Drive, Suite 605 Nashville Tennessee 37211Dialysis Stations: 11 (615) 333-9765
- Dci Southern Hills13.74 miles away510 Recovery Road Suite 100 Nashville Tennessee 37211CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (615) 832-0761