The Villages at Southern Hills is on a list of 20 possibilities in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We awarded this nursing home an above average overall rating of B+. Indeed, it proved to be the seventh best nursing home in Tulsa according to our rankings. This nursing home definitely has plenty going for it. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year, so we will need to make sure it keeps up its high scores under new ownership.
The Villages at Southern Hills
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5721 S Lewis Ave,
Tulsa OK 74105
88.72% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that The Villages at Southern Hills has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received a high-end short-term care score. We awarded them an elite grade of A- in this area. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be most critical for residents in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It does not appear that this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Villages at Southern Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this facility also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 96.47059 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This facility's least impressive category was nursing, which is the last area we scored. For this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. We want to to point out this potential weakness, however, you shouldn't focus exclusively on a single weak area either. Nursing scores are primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place averaged only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Villages at Southern Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 4.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 3.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 24.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 3.91% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 92.49% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.12% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.93% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.93 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.86 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 71.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 19 other nursing homes
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- Oklahoma Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away2408 East 81st Street, Suite 300 Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Physician(918) 477-5095
- Tulsa Spine & Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away6901 South Olympia Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74132Proprietary(918) 388-5701
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 3.04 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Parkside, IncPsychiatric 4.51 miles away1619 East 13th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74120Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 582-2131
- Hillcrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away1120 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Proprietary(918) 579-1000
- Oklahoma State University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away744 West 9th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Government - State(918) 599-1000
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock0.95 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis1.75 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis2.25 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Fmcna - South Tulsa2.42 miles away8260 S Lewis Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Dialysis Stations: 21 (918) 299-2841
- Davita - Central Tulsa4.71 miles away1124 S St Louis Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74120CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 585-5557
- Osu Medical Center Outpatient Dialysis Unit5.19 miles away802 S Jackson Ste 101 Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 599-4072
- Fmcna - East Tulsa6.05 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Davita - Southcrest6.28 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402