The Villages at Southern Hills is on a list of 21 possibilities in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We awarded this nursing home an above average overall rating of B. Indeed, it proved to be the eighth best nursing home in Tulsa according to our rankings. This nursing home definitely has plenty going for it. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
The Villages at Southern Hills
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this place also received top notch health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in this area, with an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this nursing home is that it was given a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, this turned out to be its second best category score. In this area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This score is often a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. It does not appear that this facility provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Villages at Southern Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it was given a score of B. It performed better than most nursing homes in this category. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.59036 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final area we scored was nursing. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is a poor score. We wouldn't simply disregard a facility as a result of one bad score though. Our nursing grade considers many data points. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home offered a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Villages at Southern Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 3.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 92.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Villages at Southern Hills, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 20 other nursing homes
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- Oklahoma Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away2408 East 81st Street, Suite 300 Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Physician(918) 477-5095
- Tulsa Spine & Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away6901 South Olympia Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74132Proprietary(918) 388-5701
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 3.04 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Parkside, IncPsychiatric 4.51 miles away1619 East 13th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74120Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 582-2131
- Hillcrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away1120 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Proprietary(918) 579-1000
- Oklahoma State University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away744 West 9th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Government - State(918) 599-1000
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock0.95 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis1.75 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis2.25 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Fmcna - South Tulsa2.42 miles away8260 S Lewis Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Dialysis Stations: 21 (918) 299-2841
- Davita - Central Tulsa4.71 miles away1124 S St Louis Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74120CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 585-5557
- Osu Medical Center Outpatient Dialysis Unit5.19 miles away802 S Jackson Ste 101 Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 599-4072
- Fmcna - East Tulsa6.05 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Davita - Southcrest6.28 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402