The Villa at the Park is the only nursing home located in Highland Park, Michigan. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically indicates some concerning datapoints. This was not the worse nursing home we graded, but we would still be very reluctant to recommend it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing rating. You can continue reading to find out about nursing and other category scores
The Villa at the Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall grade, it received an impressive nursing rating this year. We gave it a B+ in this category. Nursing scores are based largely on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning residents at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category was its short-term care score, where it was given a C. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The critical question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The last metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Villa at the Park?
This nursing home received mediocre inspections in recent years. We gave them a C in this category. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This means this facility avoided the more significant classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care, where this nursing home was given a rock bottom score in this category also. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area, which is definitely very concerning. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were a bit worried that this facility provided the vaccine to just 81.81818 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Villa at the Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Villa at the Park, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Villa at the Park, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which sustained a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Villa at the Park, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Villa at the Park, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Villa at the Park, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Villa at the Park, 3.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Villa at the Park, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Villa at the Park, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Villa at the Park, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In The Villa at the Park, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Villa at the Park, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Villa at the Park, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Villa at the Park, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 4.36 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Davita - Highland Park0.35 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700
- Wayne County Dialysis2.41 miles away20001 Livernois Ave Ste 500 Detroit Michigan 48221Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 861-0340
- New Center Dialysis of Davita2.5 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- State Fair Dialysis - Davita2.51 miles away19800 Woodward Ave Highland Park Michigan 48203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (313) 893-8610
- Fmc Dialysis - University2.6 miles away18430 Livernois Ave Detroit Michigan 48221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 341-4366
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion2.68 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis3.16 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis3.92 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842