The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing is an average-sized facility located in Detroit, Michigan. We awarded this nursing home an acceptable overall grade of C. Interestingly, this proved to be one of the ten highest graded facilities in Detroit. This place has some things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall rating, we also would like to point out that this place received favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a B+. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Michigan in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of short-term care, this facility received just a D in that category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this facility provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical nursing home. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility did not perform very well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this was this nursing home's poorest category grade. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 98.47095 percent of its patients, which is an above average statistic. Surprisingly, this nursing home also keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which have sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 3.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 91.43% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Villa at Great Lakes Crossing, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.21 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Davita - Redford0.71 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita1.33 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.42 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Davita - Greenview2.58 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.75 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.86 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis3.04 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC3.53 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000