The Villa at Bryn Mawr is a nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has 1,022,298 people. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Based on our assessment, this facility probably isn't a good fit for anyone. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
The Villa at Bryn Mawr
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: The Villa at Bryn Mawr has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we consider the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat discouraging figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this subcategory. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we gave this nursing home a B- for its short-term care grade, which isn't a bad grade. Our short-term care scores are believed to be more meaningful for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The critical question is whether this adversely affected quality of care. The last metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Villa at Bryn Mawr?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a D for its long-term care score, which is not one of our better scores. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to resident care. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 69.7417 percent of its residents. This is quite a bit below the national average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
The last category we looked at was inspections. Unfortunately, this facility didn't receive favorable government inspection reports in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We suggest you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Villa at Bryn Mawr Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents that suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 4.58% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 93.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Villa at Bryn Mawr, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 2.75 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit2.34 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita2.63 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.2.71 miles away2637 Park Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Dialysis Stations: 14 (612) 872-1946
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita2.79 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley2.85 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Davita - Uptown3.07 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita3.56 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis3.61 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756