The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in South Amboy, New Jersey. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires respectable scores in most areas. You can definitely do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
275 John T O'leary Boulevard,
South Amboy NJ 08879
72.27% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this place also excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in that area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that area, which is one of our most favorable scores. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is generally a useful measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. When we looked at this facility's physical therapist hours, we found it offered more hours of physical therapy per day to its residents than most nursing homes. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in New Jersey in this area with 62.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we awarded them one of our more positive grades in our long-term care category as well, with a B. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.4709 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.58 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes.
Turning to our next category, this nursing home received a grade of B- for nursing, which is an acceptable grade. Our nursing score analyzes several factors, most of which are associated with nursing hours. Based on the CMS data, this nursing home offers 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, this nursing home was relatively weak in two of the major data points we focus on, with subpar scores for minimizing its patients' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 2.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.67% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.91% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 92.7% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 11.08% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 14.69% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 14.69 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 8.11 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Venetian Care & Rehabilitation Center, 81.01% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr2.16 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836
- Dva Old Bridge Dialysis Ctr2.27 miles awayDavita Kidney Care 262 Texas Rd Old Bridge New Jersey 08857CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 591-4931
- Matawan Dialysis4.58 miles away764 Highway 34 Suite A Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 583-1085
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center4.89 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639
- Fmc Madison Dialysis at Matawan5.07 miles away625 Highway 34 Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 9 (732) 566-0471
- Ara Garden State Kidney Center5.09 miles away345 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 855-2100
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.28 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Davita Holmdel Dialysis6.29 miles away668 North Beers Street Holmdel New Jersey 07733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 302-0321