The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility is a small non-profit nursing home in Los Altos, California. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this facility is among the more impressive facilities we assessed. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually perfect. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for its short-term care score. This is a dominant grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is considered to be a solid measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, where this facility received a grade of B-. This actually was this nursing home's worst category. This is still not a major area of concern. Our long-term care ratings are more important for residents needing more conventional services associated with personal care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which have experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 7.77 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View2.53 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Wellbound of Mountain View2.53 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis3.19 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Davita El Camino Dialysis3.23 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale6.1 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park6.18 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center8.02 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Redwood City Dialysis Center8.84 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129