The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility is a small non-profit nursing home in Los Altos, California. Featuring an overall rating of A, this facility is among the top facilities we looked at. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. Headlining this place's stellar profile is its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
373 Pine Lane,
Los Altos CA 94022
76% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Los Altos, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually perfect. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for its short-term care score. This is a dominant grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is considered to be a solid measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, where this facility received a grade of B. This actually was this nursing home's worst category. A nursing home is doing something right when their weakest score still outperforms most other facilities. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Terraces at Los Altos Health Facility, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 7.77 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View2.53 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Wellbound of Mountain View2.53 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis3.19 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Davita El Camino Dialysis3.23 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale6.1 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park6.18 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center8.02 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Redwood City Dialysis Center8.84 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129