The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion is a very-small non-profit facility in Valhalla, New York. Featuring an overall grade of A+, this facility is clearly a phenomenal facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top 500 best nursing homes in the country. This also ended up being a very consistent nursing home with consistently strong grades in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion
- Nursing Home
- For Children
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Valhalla, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Valhalla, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Valhalla, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ long-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to receive several A+ category scores. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion?
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing rating weighs a variety of factors. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category, this facility also was given a first-rate short-term care rating, with a grade of A. This topped off a very strong profile. Our short-term care ratings are important for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped L T C Pavilion, 91.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Greenwich Hospital Association -Acute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away5 Perryridge Rd Greenwich Connecticut 06830Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 863-3000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst0.81 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center2.98 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center3.52 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center4.42 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900
- Davita Port Chester Dialysis and Renal Center5.92 miles away3020 Westchester Ave Purchase New York 10577CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (914) 701-5232
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC7.33 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Davita Yonkers East Dialysis Center9.79 miles away5 Odell Plaza Suite 131 Yonkers New York 10701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (914) 376-0296
- Rockland County Dialysis11.28 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590