The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill is a facility located in Needham, Massachusetts. This city has a total of 19,931 people. Sporting an overall score of A, this is clearly an elite nursing home. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top ten percent of all facilities in the nation. Headlining this facility's stellar profile is its nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Needham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Needham, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Needham, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We gave them an A+ in this area. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its first-rate assessments in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a score of A for its short-term care score. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill?
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this facility also was awarded an excellent long-term care score, with a grade of A. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 94.68599 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our inspection category, this nursing home excelled in that area, which is based on the facility's recent government inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of A- for that category. This topped off its straight A report card. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We weren't able to track down deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which were given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 2.48% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 91.39% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 5.89 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.09 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis1.8 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston5.94 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)6.25 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham6.83 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.97 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.26 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center8.16 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis8.52 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700