The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill is a facility located in Needham, Massachusetts. This city has a total of 19,931 people. Sporting an overall score of A, this is clearly an elite nursing home. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the nation. Headlining this facility's stellar profile is its nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Needham, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Needham, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We gave them an A+ in this area. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its first-rate assessments in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a score of A for its short-term care score. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill?
In addition, this nursing home also received excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best grades in that category, with an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Unfortunately, it does not appear that we were able to find deficiency data for this facility. Without complete information regarding deficiencies for this nursing home, it was challenging to fully assess it in the area of inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable long-term care rating. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in that area, completing one of our more favorable profiles. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 94.11765 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents which suffered from UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 1.93% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is vital to residents' well-being.
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Skilled Nursing Facility at North Hill, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 5.89 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.09 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis1.8 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston5.94 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)6.25 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham6.83 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.97 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.26 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center8.16 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis8.52 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700