The Sequoias Portola Valley is located in Portola Valley, California. This nursing home proved to be an A+ facility, which is the very best rating. At the end of the day, this nursing home looks like a great choice for most people. Headlining this place's remarkable profile is its nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
The Sequoias Portola Valley
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. The nursing rating consists of several components, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional reason we rated this facility so favorably is that it was awarded an A+ short-term care score. This is just about as good as it gets in this area. In computing these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Sequoias Portola Valley?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we awarded this facility a score of A for its long-term care score. This is a very strong score. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our inspection category, this facility excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of A- for that category. This wrapped up its straight A report card. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Sequoias Portola Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients which have pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who had UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients which were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 12.35 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.91 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis2.22 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Wellbound of Mountain View7.75 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View7.75 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Redwood City Dialysis Center7.84 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park8.11 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Davita El Camino Dialysis8.37 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City9.04 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale11.28 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887