The Sequoias Portola Valley is located in Portola Valley, California. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a very elite rating. Based on our assessment, this place is a no brainer for most people. Headlining this facility's remarkable profile is its nursing grade, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Sequoias Portola Valley
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Portola Valley senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In calculating our nursing grades, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional reason we rated this facility so favorably is that it was awarded an A+ long-term care score. This is just about as good as it gets in this area. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Sequoias Portola Valley?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an A+ for its short-term care grade. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Lastly, this facility also received top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of B+. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Sequoias Portola Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 2.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 8.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 5.17% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 4.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 0% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 14.29% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 9.16% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 9.16% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 8.15% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Sequoias Portola Valley, 75.02% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 12.35 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.91 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis2.22 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Wellbound of Mountain View7.75 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View7.75 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Redwood City Dialysis Center7.84 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park8.11 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Davita El Camino Dialysis8.37 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City9.04 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale11.28 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887