The Rio at Mission Trails is a large facility located in San Antonio, Texas. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. San Antonio received a city grade of C, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it is able to raise its standard of care going forward.
The Rio at Mission Trails
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6211 S New Braunfels Ave,
San Antonio TX 78223
52.01% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that The Rio at Mission Trails has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Neither this nursing home's overall score nor its category grades gave us much to write home about. This place's best category was inspections, but even there we gave it just a D. This is still a well below average score. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home had 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed large government fines recently amounting to more than $100,000. This typically indicates that a facility's poor track record spanned several years.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an D. The nursing category includes several factors, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about The Rio at Mission Trails?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care, in which this facility was given an F. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Based on its weak score in this category, we weren't shocked to discover that this facility provided far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, this facility did not fare well in this area either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.7013 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Rio at Mission Trails Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Rio at Mission Trails, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 7.01 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC0.76 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic1.34 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- University Dialysis Southeast1.36 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center1.39 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Pleasanton Road Dialysis2.19 miles away8119 South Flores Street San Antonio Texas 78221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (210) 922-6255
- Kidney Treatment Center East2.7 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southcross Dialysis Center3.38 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio3.46 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323