The Retreat at the Stratford is one of eight available facilities in Carmel, Indiana. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the most impressive grades we offer. A score of this caliber requires top-notch marks across the board. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as the best nursing home in Carmel. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which are also quite good.
The Retreat at the Stratford
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection grades are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many high-end scores, this nursing home received a top-shelf long-term care score. In fact, it received a grade of A- in that category. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 84.375 percent of its patients. This is a bit lower than we anticipated. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Retreat at the Stratford?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our nursing rating focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is short-term care, in which this facility was given a B. This actually ended up being this facility's least impressive area. A nursing home is doing something right when their weakest score still is better than most other nursing homes. In computing our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is considered to be a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Retreat at the Stratford Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 12.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 91.56% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Retreat at the Stratford, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.82 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.42 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Fmc - Carmel2.36 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC2.42 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC3.9 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living4.26 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis4.29 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North4.41 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis4.65 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center7.68 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667