The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland is on a list of 17 nursing homes in Oakland, California. We awarded this facility a strong overall rating of B+. After assessing the other alternatives in Oakland, this looks like a better choice than quite a few of them. This nursing home definitely has plenty of good features. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Blood Administration
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially want to point out its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded it an A in this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a score of A- for our short-term care grade. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care. This facility was given an impressive long-term care rating in our assessment, with a grade of B-. While this was not as good as many of its other scores, this is still an acceptable rating in this category. With our long-term care score, we assess the sheer quantity of services offered by a facility, along with some quality statistics. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.425285 percent of its patients, which is better than most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Rehabilitation Center of Oakland, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 16 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.01 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 2.06 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.43 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.11 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland0.68 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont0.83 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center0.96 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Peralta0.98 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Berkeley Dialysis Center2.44 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Us Renal Care Berkeley2.7 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.75 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland3.7 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219