The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care is in Dallas, Texas. This city is among the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 1,263,321 people. Featuring an overall rating of A, this facility is among the top facilities we assessed. Dallas has quite a few nursing homes, however, it is doubtful you will need to look at too many others. This one is a first-rate option. This nursing home was also given strong scores in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled at short-term care. We gave them an A+ in this area. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Nursing ratings are primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we assessed was long-term care, where this facility was given a grade of A-. This wrapped up a very favorable report card. Few nursing homes received an A- or better in every single category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.17355 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Dallas, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Dallas, Texas has 34 other nursing homes
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 2.07 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Medical City DallasAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away7777 Forest Lane Dallas Texas 75230Proprietary(972) 566-6222
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Parkland Health and Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away5200 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas Texas 75235Government - Hospital District or Authority(214) 590-8000
- Pine Creek Medical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away9032 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas Texas 75235Proprietary(214) 231-2273
- Childrens Medical Ctr of DallasChildrens 4.69 miles away1935 Medical District Drive Dallas Texas 75235Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-7000
- Davita Central Dallas Dialysis1.73 miles away9500 North Central Expressway Suite #102 Dallas Texas 75231Dialysis Stations: 16 (214) 739-3004
- Walnut Hill Dialysis Center1.83 miles away9840 North Central Expressway Suite 340 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (469) 232-5333
- Us Renal Care North Dallas Dialysis2.5 miles away10740 N Central Expressway Suite 150 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 518-6772
- Usrc Royal Central, LLC2.89 miles away11343 N Central Expy Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 862-9991
- Dallas North Dialysis Center3.65 miles away11886 Greenville Ave Suite 100b Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 918-0100
- Renal Center of North Dallas, LLC3.96 miles away6190 Lbj Freeway Building 2 Suite 701 Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 789-0192
- Fmc of Forest Park4.16 miles away6010 Forest Park, Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (214) 351-2833
- Davita Preston Dialysis4.31 miles away13340 Preston Rd Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 980-4361