The Pavilion at Sunny Hills is a facility in Fullerton, California, which has a population of 134,733 people. With an overall score of B-, this looks like a decent nursing home. The nursing homes in Fullerton received a city grade of B+ so this isn't the only reliable option in the city. The best part of this facility's report card was is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
The Pavilion at Sunny Hills
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2222 N. Harbor Blvd.,
Fullerton CA 92835
46.03% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's overall score was propped up by the fact that it has received favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them a strong score in that category, with a B+. This is a notably better score than the nursing home's overall score. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
This facility's second best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about The Pavilion at Sunny Hills?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest area we gave this facility in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. It doesn't look like this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next area is long-term care, where we awarded this facility a grade of B- in that area. Long-term care grades assess a facility's personal care rather than the highly skilled nursing or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid percentage. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Pavilion at Sunny Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that have had a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that have had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Pavilion at Sunny Hills, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fullerton, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fullerton, California has 6 other nursing homes
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 8.48 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Davita-Bastanchury Dialysis0.28 miles away1950 Sunnycrest Dr Ste 1300 Fullerton California 92835CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 578-0015
- Quotidian Home Dialysis Clinic1.37 miles away511 S. Harbor Blvd, Suite T La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 2 (562) 694-8520
- Davita-Brea Dialysis Center2.12 miles away595 Tamarack Avenue, Suites a & B Brea California 92821CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 990-0110
- Davita-Crossroads Dialysis Center2.48 miles away3214 Yorba Linda Blvd. Fullerton California 92831CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 577-6940
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.84 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Fmc-Orange County Home3.21 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis3.44 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita La Habra Dialysis3.62 miles away1611 W Whittier Blvd La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 267-0430