The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing is a nursing home in Flushing, New York, which has a total of 219,342 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a decent grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Flushing. The best part of this place's report card is its exemplary inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
36 17 Parsons Boulevard,
Flushing NY 11354
91.58% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest grades in that category with an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to point out that this facility was given strong long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a B+. This turned out to be the facility's second best score. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.48131 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. While it had 2.85 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted statistic was better than most facilities since it had more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a decent grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This place performed well in this metric with 56.9 percent of its residents returning home. With most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
The next area we looked at is nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this area, which is a rock bottom score. This is certainly a major concern. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided a meager 3.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is not a very impressive figure. On top of receiving below average marks for nursing hours, this place was less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in calculating our nursing scores. We looked at the percentage of patients suffering pressure ulcers and found this place was at approximately 150 percent of the national average in this statistic. This is a bad sign when you consider that many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic dragged down this facility's nursing score substantially.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents which experienced a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 13.02% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 92.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Pavilion at Queens for Rehabilitation & Nrsing, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Flushing, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Flushing, New York has 7 other nursing homes
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.02 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home1.78 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.04 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- The Rogosin Institute Auburndale Dialysis2.78 miles away39-20 Utopia Parkway Flushing New York 11358CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (347) 783-7700
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis2.92 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Davita Soundview Dialysis Center3.23 miles away1622-24 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10473CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 861-2334
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens3.26 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-Bayside Dialysis Center3.35 miles away201-10 Northern Boulevard Bayside New York 11361CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 423-6638
- Davita Clearview Dialysis3.53 miles away4560 Francis Lewis Blvd Bayside New York 11361Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 224-2398