The Oaks at Denville is a facility in Denville, New Jersey, which has a population of 17,722 people. This nursing home proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of B-. In our view, this facility should be a solid choice for most people. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable short-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
The Oaks at Denville
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
21 Pocono Road,
Denville NJ 07834
58.69% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home one of our higher scores in the area of short-term care, where it received a grade of A+. This is notably better than the nursing home's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our short-term care grades are crucial for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. In fact, we gave this facility a grade of A+. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Oaks at Denville?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only earned a grade of D for its long-term care grade, which is not a score to write home about. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 90.29851 percent of its patients. This is quite a bit lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
The final category we looked at is inspections. This wasn't one of this facility's stronger areas. We gave it a D in this area. Since this data is collected by government inspectors, we typically take this one very seriously. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed a deficiency by CMS. We were relieved to find that it wasn't in one of the categories that suggest that it posed a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed large government fines in recent years amounting to over $100,000. This typically suggests that a nursing home's bad performance spanned more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Oaks at Denville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Oaks at Denville, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Oaks at Denville, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Oaks at Denville, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Oaks at Denville, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Oaks at Denville, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Oaks at Denville, 6.37% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Oaks at Denville, 89.73% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Oaks at Denville, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Oaks at Denville, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In The Oaks at Denville, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Oaks at Denville, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Oaks at Denville, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Oaks at Denville, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Saint Clare's Hospital/ Denville CampusAcute Care Hospitals 0.11 miles away25 Pocono Road Denville New Jersey 07834Proprietary(973) 983-5569
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.33 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 12.36 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.23 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Fmc Dial Assoc No Jersey Dc3.09 miles away2200 Route 10 West Suite 107 Parsippany New Jersey 07054CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 267-2009
- Davita Parsippany Dialysis3.28 miles away900 Lanidex Plaza Suite 120 Parsippany New Jersey 07054Dialysis Stations: 10 (973) 739-7080
- Fmc Kenvil3.49 miles away677 Route 46 Suite C Kenvil New Jersey 07847CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 252-1301
- Fmc Dover5.68 miles away400 West Blackwell Street 2 West Dover New Jersey 07801Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 328-1812
- Fmc East Morris7.36 miles away55 Madison Avenue Ste 100 Morristown New Jersey 07960Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 993-8495
- Davita Renal Ctr Morristown7.36 miles away100 Madison Avenue 4th Floor Morristown New Jersey 07960CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (973) 538-8201
- Davita Renal Ctr Succasunna9.67 miles away175 Righter Road Succasunna New Jersey 07876Dialysis Stations: 12 (973) 584-3294
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave10.17 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150