The Montevista at Coronado is in the densely populated metropolitan area of El Paso, Texas. This facility is a relatively poor nursing home. A score in this range indicates we found a few red flags. This wasn't the worse place we graded, but we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
The Montevista at Coronado
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
El Paso TX 79912
72.93% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in El Paso, Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this place favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this category, which is much better than its overall score. Inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a solid grade in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are likely more important for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The key is determining what effect this had on quality of care. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Montevista at Coronado?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second least favorable score was long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that area. This is a well below average grade. For patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The next category we analyzed was nursing. This nursing home received a rock bottom grade of F in that category. Our nursing rating is primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This place offered just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Montevista at Coronado Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Montevista at Coronado, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Montevista at Coronado, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Montevista at Coronado, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Montevista at Coronado, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Montevista at Coronado, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Montevista at Coronado, 4.84% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Montevista at Coronado, 93.69% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Montevista at Coronado, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Montevista at Coronado, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Montevista at Coronado, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Montevista at Coronado, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Montevista at Coronado, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.29 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- The Hospitals of Providence Memorial CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away2001 N Oregon St El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 577-6011
- Las Palmas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away1801 North Oregon Street El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 521-1200
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.79 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 7.89 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- Upper Valley Dialysis2.45 miles away7933 N Mesa Suite H El Paso Texas 79932CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (915) 832-0555
- Us Renal Care West El Paso Dialysis2.52 miles away3100 N Stanton El Paso Texas 79902Dialysis Stations: 16 (915) 532-7007
- Mission Hills Dialysis2.57 miles away2700 North Stanton El Paso Texas 79902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 351-0722
- Fkc - El Paso West3.66 miles away1430 Northwestern Drive El Paso Texas 79912Dialysis Stations: 13 (915) 584-5400
- Dsi El Paso North, LLC4.52 miles away3359 Fred Wilson Ave El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 304-5816
- Mountain Pass Dialysis4.95 miles away5612 Dyer Street El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 564-5052
- El Paso Health, LLC5.77 miles away2400 N Oregon St Ste C El Paso Texas 79902Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 533-8575
- Davita Canutillo Dialysis5.79 miles away7251 S Desert Blvd Canutillo Texas 79835Dialysis Stations: 25 (915) 877-4900