The Merriman of Akron is located in Akron, Ohio. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the country with has a population of 272,134 people. This facility received an overall grade of B-, which is a good score. Even with Akron offering 17 nursing homes available, this facility ought to be a perfectly acceptable option. The best part of this nursing home's report card was its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
The Merriman of Akron
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for its inspection grade. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Our inspection scores are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing score is primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Merriman of Akron?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. Our long-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's amount of nursing care. This means a broad spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinates 97.34513 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care. This facility was given a C in the area. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is generally a solid measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Merriman of Akron Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Merriman of Akron, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Merriman of Akron, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Merriman of Akron, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Merriman of Akron, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Merriman of Akron, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Merriman of Akron, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Merriman of Akron, 90.12% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Merriman of Akron, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Merriman of Akron, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Merriman of Akron, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Merriman of Akron, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Akron, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Akron, Ohio has 16 other nursing homes
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 2.42 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.17 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Fmc - Akron East0.97 miles away199 Perkins Street Akron Ohio 44304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 376-7600
- Fmc - Akron1.21 miles away345 Bishop Street Akron Ohio 44307Dialysis Stations: 30 (330) 376-4905
- Childrens Hospital Medical Ctr - Akron1.57 miles awayOne Perkins Square - Dialysis Akron Ohio 44308Dialysis Stations: 4 (330) 543-8773
- Davita Akron Renal Center2.33 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 375-6848
- Davita - White Ponds Dialysis2.56 miles away791 White Pond Drive Akron Ohio 44320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 835-9083
- Fmc White Pond2.6 miles away690 White Pond Dr., Suite 101 Akron Ohio 44320Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 835-9047
- Dialysis Care Center Akron LLC2.74 miles away1505 South Hawkins Avenue Akron Ohio 44320Dialysis Stations: 11 (330) 612-0540
- U S Renal Care - Cuyahoga Falls3.82 miles away421 Portage Trail, Suite B Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-7970