With an address in Sugar Land, Texas, The Medical Resort at Sugar Land is one of only three available nursing homes in the area. Sporting an overall rating of C, this is a middle of the pack facility. This facility has a few things going for it. The best part of this place's report card was is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Medical Resort at Sugar Land
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sugar Land senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a short-term care score which is stronger than its overall score. We awarded this nursing home a B+ in this area. This really helped its overall profile. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home earned an impressive grade of B in the category of nursing. Our nursing rating is largely based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Medical Resort at Sugar Land?
It should also be noted that this facility's inspection score was strong as well. In fact, we awarded it a B for its inspection reports, which is one of our better scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, this nursing home didn't perform very well. With an abysmal grade of F in long-term care, this was its weakest grade. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 92.98245 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Medical Resort at Sugar Land Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 4.84% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Medical Resort at Sugar Land, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 0.5 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Memorial Hermann Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away17500 W Grand Parkway South Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 725-5000
- Oakbend Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away1705 Jackson St Richmond Texas 77469Government - Hospital District or Authority(281) 341-3000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 10.12 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.92 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Lexington Dialysis, LLC0.83 miles away16035 Lexington Blvd Sugar Land Texas 77479Dialysis Stations: 24 (832) 783-9090
- Greatwood Dialysis0.85 miles away20333 Southwest Freeway Suite 105 Sugar Land Texas 77479Dialysis Stations: 17 (281) 545-1470
- First Colony Dialysis1.18 miles away1447 Hwy 6 Suite #140 Sugar Land Texas 77478Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 494-1465
- Sugar Land Home Training1.23 miles away1447 Hwy 6 Suite 130 Sugar Land Texas 77478Dialysis Stations: 2 (281) 277-0692
- Fresenius Medical Care Sugarland, LLC1.48 miles away4675 Sweetwater Blvd, Suite B Sugar Land Texas 77479Dialysis Stations: 1 (281) 240-4076
- Key Dialysis, LLC1.97 miles away1400 Creek Way Dr Ste 211 Sugar Land Texas 77478Dialysis Stations: 1 (832) 939-9772
- Fresenius Medical Care Sugarland, LLC2.28 miles away1107 Soldiers Field Drive Sugar Land Texas 77479Dialysis Stations: 32 (281) 201-8855
- Sugarland Dialysis2.28 miles away13855 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77478Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 240-5095