The Lakes of Sylvania is a small facility located in Sylvania, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some solid marks. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
The Lakes of Sylvania
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is its short-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of B-. In our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Lakes of Sylvania?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third best area ended up being its long-term care grade, where it was given a C. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated 83.22147 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be quite a bit below the national average. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we looked at was nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this area. Our nursing rating considers several factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Lakes of Sylvania Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 90.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Lakes of Sylvania, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sylvania, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sylvania, Ohio has 6 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 10.33 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.14 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.82 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Davita - Flower Dialysis3.5 miles away5308 Harroun Rd., Suite 60 Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 824-6074
- Dialysis Centers of Greater Toledo3.53 miles away7635 W. Sylvania Avenue Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 517-2002
- Dialysis Center of Northwest Ohio, Ltd.5.73 miles away2249 North Reynolds Road Toledo Ohio 43615CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 535-7415
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis6.62 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate6.89 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis7.64 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- Davita - West Toledo7.74 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Davita - Swan Creek Dialysis8.07 miles away5201 Airport Highway Toledo Ohio 43615Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 214-0540