The Lakeland Center is one of five available nursing homes in Southfield, Michigan. This nursing home was given an overall score of F. At the end of the day, you'd be better off to steer clear of this place. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
The Lakeland Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care grade this year. We gave it a C in that area, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we found for this nursing home. Short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
This facility excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned an D. Nursing scores are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about The Lakeland Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home an F in the area of long-term care. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category likely don't provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes provide. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 85.71429 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This nursing home did not receive favorable inspection reports in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F in this category. When a facility has this bad of an inspection rating, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This particular nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Lastly, we need to point out that this facility received large government fines recently amounting to over $100,000. This often signifies that a nursing home's poor track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Lakeland Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Lakeland Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Lakeland Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Lakeland Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that had UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Lakeland Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Lakeland Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Lakeland Center, 3.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Lakeland Center, 91.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Lakeland Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Lakeland Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Lakeland Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Lakeland Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Lakeland Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Lakeland Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Southfield, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Southfield, Michigan has 4 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis0.94 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC1.48 miles away26400 W 12 Mile Rd Ste 112 Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 228-8777
- Nw Detroit Dialysis - Lahser Satellite1.62 miles away25664 Lahser Road Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 358-7521
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita3.16 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC3.19 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Davita - Greenview4.33 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Cornerstone Dialysis of Davita4.64 miles away23857 Greenfield Rd Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (248) 569-6111
- Davita - Redford4.69 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171