The Home at Hearthstone is in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This nursing home is a well below average facility. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Cincinnati, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. This nursing home's only redeeming feature was its inspection grade, which we provide additional information about below.
The Home at Hearthstone
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this facility's overall grade, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that category with an A. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in this category. As it turns out, this proved to be one of its better grades. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. As you might expect, we found that this facility offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical nursing home. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Home at Hearthstone?
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our long-term care score. This is not an impressive grade. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated 86.206894 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be several points below average. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
The last category we rated was nursing. This nursing home received a rock bottom grade of F in this category. When determining a facility's nursing score, we look at the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Home at Hearthstone Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Home at Hearthstone, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Home at Hearthstone, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Home at Hearthstone, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Home at Hearthstone, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Home at Hearthstone, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Home at Hearthstone, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Home at Hearthstone, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Home at Hearthstone, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Home at Hearthstone, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In The Home at Hearthstone, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Home at Hearthstone, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Home at Hearthstone, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Home at Hearthstone, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 74 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 7.26 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 10 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 10.86 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Dca of Cincinnati0.74 miles away7600 Affinity Place Cincinnati Ohio 45231Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 931-7900
- Davita Affinity Place Dialysis0.82 miles away7700 Affinity Place Cincinnati Ohio 45231Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 521-0981
- Cinld, LLC1.67 miles away1555 Goodman Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45224Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 521-2018
- Davita - Winton Road Dialysis2.98 miles away6550 Winton Road Cincinnati Ohio 45224CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 591-2900
- Davita - White Oak Home Dialysis3.38 miles away5520 Cheviot Road, Suite B Cincinnati Ohio 45247Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 385-3580
- Davita - White Oak Dialysis3.38 miles away5520 Cheviot Road, Suite B Cincinnati Ohio 45247CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 741-1062
- Fmc- Liberty Forest Fair LLC3.63 miles away1198 West Kemper Road Cincinnati Ohio 45240Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 648-9175
- Dci - at Drake Center3.78 miles away151 West Galbraith Road Cincinnati Ohio 45216Dialysis Stations: 5 (513) 418-2675