The Highlands of Dallas is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Dallas, Texas with a population of 1,263,321 people. This nursing home received an overall rating of B+. As a matter of fact, this proved to be ranked among the twenty highest rated nursing homes nursing homes in the city. You can certainly do much worse than this nursing home. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
The Highlands of Dallas
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing ended up being its best category. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A-. In computing a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses commit to residents as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This nursing home also excelled in inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that area, which is one of our best scores. This is one of the few facilities with an overall grade in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. Our inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about The Highlands of Dallas?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an impressive short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B+. Our short-term care scores are crucial for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last measure we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was long-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home an acceptable grade of B-. This actually proved to be this facility's weakest category. In crafting these long-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.55357 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Highlands of Dallas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Highlands of Dallas, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Highlands of Dallas, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Highlands of Dallas, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Highlands of Dallas, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Highlands of Dallas, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Highlands of Dallas, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Highlands of Dallas, 94.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Highlands of Dallas, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Highlands of Dallas, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Highlands of Dallas, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Highlands of Dallas, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Highlands of Dallas, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Highlands of Dallas, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Dallas, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Dallas, Texas has 34 other nursing homes
- Medical City DallasAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away7777 Forest Lane Dallas Texas 75230Proprietary(972) 566-6222
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away7 Medical Parkway Dallas Texas 75234Proprietary(972) 247-1000
- Methodist Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away2831 E President George Bush Highway Richardson Texas 75082Government - Hospital District or Authority(469) 204-1000
- Dallas North Dialysis Center0.45 miles away11886 Greenville Ave Suite 100b Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 918-0100
- Usrc Royal Central, LLC1.3 miles away11343 N Central Expy Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 862-9991
- Us Renal Care North Dallas Dialysis1.5 miles away10740 N Central Expressway Suite 150 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 518-6772
- Walnut Hill Dialysis Center2.23 miles away9840 North Central Expressway Suite 340 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (469) 232-5333
- Davita Central Dallas Dialysis2.43 miles away9500 North Central Expressway Suite #102 Dallas Texas 75231Dialysis Stations: 16 (214) 739-3004
- Renal Center of North Dallas, LLC3.15 miles away6190 Lbj Freeway Building 2 Suite 701 Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 789-0192
- Davita Preston Dialysis3.41 miles away13340 Preston Rd Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 980-4361
- Liberty Dialysis - Richardson4.5 miles away1621 North Central Expressway Suite 200 Richardson Texas 75080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 907-1480