Located in Owasso, Oklahoma, The Highlands at Owasso is one of a mere three facilities in the city. This nursing home is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. You can definitely do worse than this place. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
The Highlands at Owasso
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall score, we also would like to point out that this nursing home received favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in this category, with a grade of B. This is a notably better score than the facility's overall score. Our inspection scores are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we awarded this facility a B in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our more impressive grades. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is more often than not a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about The Highlands at Owasso?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area was long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this facility vaccinated just 79.268295 percent of its patients, which is a bit of a concern. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Our next area is nursing, in which we gave this facility a C in this area. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Highlands at Owasso Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Highlands at Owasso, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Highlands at Owasso, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Highlands at Owasso, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents which have experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Highlands at Owasso, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Highlands at Owasso, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Highlands at Owasso, 3.83% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Highlands at Owasso, 92.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Highlands at Owasso, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Highlands at Owasso, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In The Highlands at Owasso, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Highlands at Owasso, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Highlands at Owasso, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Highlands at Owasso, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- St John OwassoAcute Care Hospitals 0.19 miles away12451 East 100th Street North Owasso Oklahoma 74055Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 274-5100
- Bailey Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away10502 North 110th East Avenue Owasso Oklahoma 74055Proprietary(918) 376-8000
- Claremore Indian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.73 miles away101 South Moore Ave Claremore Oklahoma 74017Tribal(918) 341-8430
- Hillcrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.63 miles away1120 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Proprietary(918) 579-1000
- Parkside, IncPsychiatric 12.86 miles away1619 East 13th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74120Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 582-2131
- Hillcrest Hospital ClaremoreAcute Care Hospitals 13.06 miles away1202 N Muskogee Place Claremore Oklahoma 74017Proprietary(918) 341-2556
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Oklahoma State University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.8 miles away744 West 9th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Government - State(918) 599-1000
- Davita - Owasso Dialysis0.35 miles away9521 N Owasso East Expressway Owasso Oklahoma 74055Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 376-2685
- Fmcna - Bailey Dialysis Center0.84 miles away10205 N 110th E Ave Owasso Oklahoma 74055Dialysis Stations: 15 (918) 272-2719
- Fmcna - North Harvard10 miles away1515 N Harvard Ste D Tulsa Oklahoma 74115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (918) 835-5599
- Davita - Greenwood Dialysis11.62 miles away1345 N Lansing Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (918) 585-8811
- Davita - Central Tulsa12.78 miles away1124 S St Louis Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74120CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 585-5557
- Davita - Claremore13.15 miles away202 E Blue Starr Dr Claremore Oklahoma 74017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 342-1119
- Osu Medical Center Outpatient Dialysis Unit13.78 miles away802 S Jackson Ste 101 Tulsa Oklahoma 74127Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 599-4072
- Fmcna - North Tulsa13.78 miles away2309 W Edison Ste A Tulsa Oklahoma 74127CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (918) 592-0724