Located in San Antonio, Texas, The Heights on Huebner is one of 62 nursing homes this area. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some respectable marks. Based on our ratings, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
The Heights on Huebner
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
10127 Huebner Rd,
San Antonio TX 78240
83.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had positive view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's higher category grades came in the area of long-term care. This turned out to be its second most respectable category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. For patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.649124 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Heights on Huebner?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of short-term care, this nursing home was given a grade of just D in that category. In crafting our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this place offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next category we rated is nursing, which ended up being this facility's worst category. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is clearly a major disappointment. Our nursing grade is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Heights on Huebner Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Heights on Huebner, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Heights on Huebner, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Heights on Huebner, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Heights on Huebner, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Heights on Huebner, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Heights on Huebner, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Heights on Huebner, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Heights on Huebner, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Heights on Huebner, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In The Heights on Huebner, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Heights on Huebner, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Heights on Huebner, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Heights on Huebner, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 0.59 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic0 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Floyd Curl Dialysis0.68 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Bma Northwest Bexar County1.82 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa1.93 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis2 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center2.05 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis3.25 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC3.34 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273