The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth is located in Overland Park, Kansas. This city has a population of 169,942 people. This facility received an overall rating of B. As a matter of fact, this is ranked among the five highest graded nursing homes in the city. Even in a city of 12 other nursing homes, this facility should be a quality selection. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive short-term care score, which we will address in the next section.
The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
5401 W 143rd Street,
Overland Park KS 66224
81.57% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our short-term care grade. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. One of this nursing home's strengths is physical therapy hours. We found that it offers more hours with physical therapists to its residents than most facilities. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in Kansas in this area with 68.3 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, at most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility earned a grade of B for its inspections rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This place offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 4.2 hours per resident daily. This is more nursing care than nearly any other nursing home provides. Lastly, we also looked at nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these datapoints as predictive indicators of the quality of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next area is long-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in that area. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. While we determined this nursing home had an impressive amount of nursing hours provided by nurses and other nursing staff, we found its vaccination rate to be a bit lower than we expected. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 73.68421 percent of its patients. This is a figure we would love to see this nursing home improve. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 1.65 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 7.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 5.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 3.69% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients which have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 16.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 21.94% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 5.8% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 92.32% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 21.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 21.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 10.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Healthcare Resort Leawood - Iron Horse Hlth, 74.66% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 11 other nursing homes
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.75 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Nall Dialysis2.48 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood3.18 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Timberlake Dialysis4.28 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis5.34 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph5.45 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis5.52 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis6 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Grandview Dialysis6.53 miles away13812 S 71 Hwy Grandview Missouri 64030Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 763-1179