The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center is one of just three facilities in North Bergen, New Jersey. This facility received an A- overall, which is among the best grades we offer. A score in this range requires top-notch scores across the board. This proved to be the best nursing home in North Bergen. As you will see below, this facility also performed just fine in our category ratings. It is hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on North Bergen senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in North Bergen, New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We weren't able to find information about this nursing home's deficiencies. We wish we had more data for this facility. Without having all of the deficiency data, it ended up being difficult to grade this nursing home in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this nursing home also received an excellent short-term care score, with a score of A-. Our short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is long-term care. This facility received an above average long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.820465 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In the last category we graded, this nursing home was given a very favorable grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this grade, the facility completed a first-rate profile. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as reliable measures of the quality of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 12.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 3.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that sustained falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 1.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 9.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 10.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 0.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 99.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 12.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 15.89% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 15.89% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 11.37% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Harborage at Palisades Medical Center, 85.92% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Davita Dialysis at Palisades Medical Center0.03 miles away7650 River Road Suite 150 North Bergen New Jersey 07047Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 861-1031
- Avantus Upper Manhattan Dialysis Center1.42 miles away801 Amsterdam Avenue New York New York 10025CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (646) 774-4400
- Fmc Fairview1.61 miles away155-161 Bergen Blvd Fairview New Jersey 07022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 941-6601
- Rogosin West Side1.76 miles away619 West 54th Street New York New York 10019CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (646) 317-0402
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Ctr.2.18 miles away1 Gustave L. Levy Place Renal Treatment Ctr. Box 1147 New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 241-8081
- Ridgewood Dialysis Center, Inc.2.32 miles away1249 Fifth Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (212) 360-3860
- Fmc Union Hill2.37 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- Upper East Side Dialysis Center2.43 miles away210 East 86th Street 3rd Fl. New York New York 10028CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (212) 794-2850