The Hallmark is a small non-profit nursing home in Houston, Texas. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this facility is among the better facilities in Houston. Even in a city featuring 25 other nursing homes, this one really stands out as a quality choice. This place also received very consistent grades in all of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received an impressive grade of A. In calculating our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is generally a fair assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. A deficiency-free inspection report is what we like to see.
Does this page answer your questions about The Hallmark?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing rating weighs quite a few datapoints, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Texas in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. This nursing home received an above average nursing grade in our assessment, with a grade of B. Although this isn't nearly as strong as many of its other category grades, this is still one of our stronger scores in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.24561 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Hallmark Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Hallmark, 8.7% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Hallmark, 7.02% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Hallmark, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Hallmark, 5.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Hallmark, 7.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Hallmark, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Hallmark, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Hallmark, 23.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Hallmark, 4.9% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Hallmark, 85.42% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 4.47 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 5.25 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Houston Galleria Dialysis1.17 miles away5923 Westheimer Rd Houston Texas 77057Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 977-1278
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp2.72 miles away5920 Renwick Dr Ste A Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 660-0073
- Kidney Care Center of Houston2.81 miles away4803 Bissonnet Street Bellaire Texas 77401Dialysis Stations: 3 (832) 834-4080
- Dialyspa Vi, LLC3.09 miles away6800 W Loop South Suite 190 Bellaire Texas 77401Dialysis Stations: 1 (281) 501-9081
- Sng - Hillcroft Dialysis Center3.32 miles away6015 Hillcroft, Suite 3000 Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 772-0992
- Heights Dialysis3.68 miles away739 E 20th Street Houston Texas 77008Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 802-0542
- Fresenius Medical Care Fondren3.7 miles away7011 Regency Square Blvd Houston Texas 77036CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 782-1810
- Dialyspa Vii LLC3.77 miles away1411 Bonner St Houston Texas 77007Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 814-8741