Located in Brockton, Massachusetts, The Guardian Center is one of four available facilities in this area. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires solid marks in most areas. You can certainly do much worse than this place. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
The Guardian Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
888 North Main Street,
Brockton MA 02301
61.78% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that The Guardian Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a strong nursing home is that it received a very impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In that area, we gave it an A. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
This nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing grade is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which was above the national average. Finally, we also looked at nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these datapoints as reliable measures of the quality of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about The Guardian Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded an impressive short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that area with a grade of B+. In our short-term care score, we try to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. It performed as well as just about any facility in the nation with 56.4 percent of its patients returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a B-. This proved to be this facility's weakest area. This is still a middle of the pack score. Long-term care grades are generally used to measure a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to looking at the very respectable level of care provided by aids and other staff at this facility, we also were happy with the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.52399 percent of its patients, which is an impressive total. This combination proved to be successful as this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Guardian Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Guardian Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Guardian Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Guardian Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Guardian Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Guardian Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Guardian Center, 1.96% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Guardian Center, 91.59% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Guardian Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Guardian Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Guardian Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Guardian Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Guardian Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Guardian Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Brockton, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brockton, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 12.16 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center1.33 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC1.51 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC4 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis7.57 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis7.97 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center8.37 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility10.35 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)10.87 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985