The Grove of Northbrook is a large nursing home in Northbrook, Illinois. Sporting an overall score of B, this nursing home is a fine option. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Grove of Northbrook
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Northbrook senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A+. Few facilities fared better in this area. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's above average category grades came in the category of long-term care. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a score of B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 97.477066 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Grove of Northbrook?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Nursing grades are primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was short-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a B-. In determining these short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Grove of Northbrook Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Grove of Northbrook, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Grove of Northbrook, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Grove of Northbrook, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Grove of Northbrook, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Grove of Northbrook, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Grove of Northbrook, 31.81% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Grove of Northbrook, 87.05% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Grove of Northbrook, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Grove of Northbrook, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Grove of Northbrook, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Grove of Northbrook, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Grove of Northbrook, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.73 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center2.04 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fmc - Highland2.75 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Glen Dialysis3.65 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center6.36 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis6.4 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Niles7.03 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston7.09 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center8.92 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047