The Grove at North Huntingdon is an average-sized facility located in Irwin, Pennsylvania. With a really poor overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. This nursing home didn't have any redeeming qualities. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Grove at North Huntingdon
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Irwin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a C in that category, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we found for this facility. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is considered to be a reliable assessment of the facility's rehabilitation services. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of D. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Grove at North Huntingdon?
This place received a lowly F for its inspection score. For facilities that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was assessed 12 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines recently totaling more than $100,000. This generally means that a poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 44.475918 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Grove at North Huntingdon Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 9.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who had falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 1.14% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 26.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 12.54% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 53.22% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 19.56% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 30.99% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels.
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 30.99% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 9.67% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Grove at North Huntingdon, 79.11% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Excela Health Westmoreland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away532 West Pittsburgh Street Greensburg Pennsylvania 15601Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 832-4000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 13.57 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Davita - Lincoln Way Dialysis2.98 miles away1303 Lincoln Way, Suite A Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 673-1191
- Davita - Mckeesport Dialysis3.54 miles awayOak Park Mall 2001 Lincoln Way Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 678-0183
- Davita - Mckeesport West Dialysis3.59 miles away101 9th Street Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 672-3720
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid-Atlantic Inc.4.38 miles away4044 Route 130, Suite 100 Irwin Pennsylvania 15642Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 744-0713
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - North Versailles5.36 miles away613 East Pittsburgh Mckeesport Boulevard North Versailles Pennsylvania 15137Dialysis Stations: 19 (412) 675-0960
- Dialysis Clinic Inc - Hempfield7.09 miles away6710 State Route 30 Jeannette Pennsylvania 15644Dialysis Stations: 24 (724) 523-6386
- Davita Monroeville Dialysis7.36 miles away2690 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 856-5950
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Five Points7.36 miles away2534 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 823-5422