The Grove at New Castle is a small nursing home located in New Castle, Pennsylvania. We gave this facility world class overall score of A-. As a result, it is among the better nursing homes in New Castle, which features some quality facilities. Based on our assessment, this place would be a no brainer for just about anybody. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Grove at New Castle
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Castle senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ government inspections recently. Its inspections are nearly perfect. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our nursing grade is largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Grove at New Castle?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive short-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this category. With our short-term care assessment, we strive to forge a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable long-term care rating. Although this wasn't quite as elite as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores we offer. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 95.454544 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Grove at New Castle Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Grove at New Castle, 5.33% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Grove at New Castle, 3.54% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Grove at New Castle, 0.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Grove at New Castle, 8.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Grove at New Castle, 25.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Grove at New Castle, 8.99% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Grove at New Castle, 92.73% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Grove at New Castle, 14.36% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Grove at New Castle, 15.11% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Grove at New Castle, 15.11% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Grove at New Castle, 80.29% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.61 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 16.94 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.4 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle0.67 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.08 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City10.65 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.11.07 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC13.91 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.14.4 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hermitage15.08 miles away3036 Innovation Way Hermitage Pennsylvania 16148CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (724) 981-1328
- Fmc - North Lima15.76 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061