The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens is one of just two available nursing homes in Whitestone, New York. With an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. Based on the data we reviewed, you can do much worse than this place. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this facility received a nearly flawless inspection report. Consequently, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A+. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we have information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded an impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.59864 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is short-term care. This facility was given a very positive short-term care grade, with a B+ in the category. Short-term care grades are commonly used to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The next category we graded was nursing. In that category, we gave this facility a solid grade of C. This turned out to be this facility's worst area. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often the result of poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term residents which sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some would argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Queens, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.34 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC1.59 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home1.87 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- The Rogosin Institute Auburndale Dialysis2.1 miles away39-20 Utopia Parkway Flushing New York 11358CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (347) 783-7700
- Fms-Bayside Dialysis Center2.66 miles away201-10 Northern Boulevard Bayside New York 11361CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 423-6638
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.81 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Davita Clearview Dialysis2.84 miles away4560 Francis Lewis Blvd Bayside New York 11361Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 224-2398
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis3.61 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Davita Soundview Dialysis Center3.92 miles away1622-24 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10473CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 861-2334