The Gardens of Scottsdale is in the large metropolitan area of Scottsdale, Arizona. This facility excelled in our ratings with a grade of A overall. Impressively, this is higher than the city grade of A- in Scottsdale, which is one of the higher rated cities in Arizona. Scottsdale offers a double digit count of nursing homes, however, we question whether you will need to look at too many others. This one looks like a first-rate option. This facility also received impressive scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Gardens of Scottsdale
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2021 by Nick Reese
6001 East Thomas Road,
Scottsdale AZ 85251
80.22% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Data for The Gardens of Scottsdale has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2021
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Very few nursing homes performed better in this category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.739136 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Gardens of Scottsdale?
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to alert you to the fact that this nursing home was awarded an impressive grade of A- in our short-term care area. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Moving on to our next category, this nursing home received a strong nursing rating. We awarded it a B+ in this category, wrapping up one of our better profiles. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Arizona in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Gardens of Scottsdale Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 3.1% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 80.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Gardens of Scottsdale, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Scottsdale, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Scottsdale, Arizona has 10 other nursing homes
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 3.15 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Scottsdale Shea Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away9003 East Shea Boulevard Scottsdale Arizona 85260Proprietary(480) 323-3000
- Southwest Kidney/Davita-Phoenix Home Dialysis (Dva)1.13 miles away5115 E Thomas Rd Ste 100 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 1 (602) 840-0012
- Salt River Dialysis Center (Fmc)1.66 miles away10301 E Osborn Rd Bldg 14 Scottsdale Arizona 85256Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 362-1044
- Fresenius Kidney Care Desert Sage1.76 miles away4901 W Mcdowell Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85035Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 272-3116
- Fmc Old Town Scottsdale1.78 miles away4141 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 100 Scottsdale Arizona 85251Dialysis Stations: 25 (480) 946-1455
- Papago Dialysis (Dva)2.31 miles away5115 East Thomas, Suite #115 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 956-1831
- Scottsdale Dialysis (Fmc)2.7 miles away1495 N Hayden Ste d1-d4 Scottsdale Arizona 85257Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 949-7844
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)3.96 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Scottsdale Dialysis (Dva)4.24 miles away5705 N Scottsdale Rd, Ste 120 Scottsdale Arizona 85250Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 941-3860