The Gardens at West Shore is a very-large facility located in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. This facility was given an alarming overall grade based on the data we looked at. This nursing home is about as bad as it gets. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
The Gardens at West Shore
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. Nursing scores are largely tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Gardens at West Shore?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility just a D for our short-term care rating. This is not a very good score. In our short-term care rating, we try to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area was long-term care, which is the final area we scored. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of just D. Facilities that do not score well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 92.628204 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a bit below what we were hoping for but still a decent percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Gardens at West Shore Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Gardens at West Shore, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Gardens at West Shore, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Gardens at West Shore, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Gardens at West Shore, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Gardens at West Shore, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Gardens at West Shore, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Gardens at West Shore, 88.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Gardens at West Shore, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Gardens at West Shore, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
In The Gardens at West Shore, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Gardens at West Shore, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Gardens at West Shore, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Gardens at West Shore, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.45 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 2.3 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.35 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.72 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- Davita West Shore1.09 miles away550 North 12th St., Suite 110 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 737-3272
- Liberty Dialysis LLC - Camp Hill1.09 miles away500 N. 12th Street, Suite 300 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 230-1630
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill1.23 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill1.6 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cityline2.43 miles away2601 North 3rd Street, Suite 101 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 909-9450
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.2.63 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg5.17 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Capital Area5.2 miles away1300 Linglestown Road, 1st Floor Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 21 (717) 234-8840