The Gardens at East Mountain is in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Wilkes Barre, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
The Gardens at East Mountain
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
101 East Mountain Drive,
Wilkes Barre PA 18702
83.5% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility an A for its inspection grade. This is far better than the facility's overall rating. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
This facility's second best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Nursing grades are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 3.1 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Finally, we also factored in some quality-based measures in this category. Although this place didn't rank highly in terms of its nursing hours, it performed better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In terms of the number of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, this place performed better than the national average. This is generally a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided with better nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Gardens at East Mountain?
Long-term Care Quality
The third most favorable category we gave this facility in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the datapoints we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.317406 percent of its patients. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had just 1.59 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is short-term care, is this facility's weakest category. We gave this facility a grade of D in this area. Our short-term care grades are thought to be more meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its poor grade, we were not shocked to find that this nursing home provided substantially fewer registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area, with just 40.4 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Gardens at East Mountain Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 3.38% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 89.35% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Gardens at East Mountain, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Wilkes Barre, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.22 miles away1000 East Mountain Boulevard Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18711Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 826-7300
- Wilkes-Barre General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away575 North River Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18764Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 829-8111
- Geisinger-Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away1822 Mulberry Street Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 969-8240
- Moses Taylor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away700 Quincy Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Proprietary(570) 340-2100
- Regional Hospital of ScrantonAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away746 Jefferson Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18501Proprietary(570) 348-7100
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.0.8 miles away309 Laird Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702Dialysis Stations: 4 (570) 822-1280
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilkes Barre0.8 miles away307 Laird Street, Suite 1 Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (570) 825-9531
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pittston5.45 miles away455 North Main Street Pittston Pennsylvania 18640Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 655-4115
- Old Forge Dialysis8.62 miles away325 South Main Street Old Forge Pennsylvania 18518Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 457-3174
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nanticoke11.15 miles away450 West Main Street Nanticoke Pennsylvania 18634Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 740-4820
- Commonwealth Dialysis12.2 miles away920 S. Washington Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18505Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 344-5267
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc12.52 miles away321 Meridian Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18504Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 340-1648
- Dunmore Dialysis14.62 miles away1212 Oneal Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 558-0190