With an address in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, The Gardens at Blue Ridge is one of five available facilities in the area. This nursing home was given an overall rating of F. This facility doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
The Gardens at Blue Ridge
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
We really were not high on this facility's overall grade or its category grades. We gave it a D for our inspections rating and that proved to be its best score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. We suggest you scrutinize the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 10 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 35 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating and that actually turned out to be its second highest score. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about The Gardens at Blue Ridge?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility wound up receiving a an abysmal score in our short-term care area. It was given a lowly F in this category. In calculating these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Based on its grade in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 3.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last category, this nursing home did not fare very well in this category either. With a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.406364 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Gardens at Blue Ridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients which have sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 3.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Gardens at Blue Ridge, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Harrisburg, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Harrisburg, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 3.21 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.78 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Millonee Dialysis, LLC0.83 miles away4390 Sturbridge Drive Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 545-2805
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Capital Area1.49 miles away1300 Linglestown Road, 1st Floor Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 21 (717) 234-8840
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cityline3.1 miles away2601 North 3rd Street, Suite 101 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 909-9450
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harrisburg3.9 miles away4343 Union Deposit Road Union Court Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 564-5690
- Cedar Dialysis, LLC4.8 miles away479 Port View Drive, Suite b21 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17111CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 558-0290
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.5.14 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Davita West Shore5.97 miles away550 North 12th St., Suite 110 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 737-3272
- Liberty Dialysis LLC - Camp Hill5.97 miles away500 N. 12th Street, Suite 300 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 230-1630