The Forum at Overland Park is a small nursing home located in Leawood, Kansas. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is a very strong grade. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top quarter of all facilities in the nation. The best part of this facility's strong profile was its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
The Forum at Overland Park
Updated Oct 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
3501 W 95th St,
Leawood KS 66206
31.5% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. The last item we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that it performed as well as just about any facility in Kansas in this metric with 73.4 percent of its patients returning home.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 6.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is among the better totals in the country. A significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more skilled levels of nurses. We were really impressed by these statistics. On top of looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these statistics as good measures of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about The Forum at Overland Park?
Another impressive feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility an acceptable grade of C. This actually is this facility's worst category. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. This facility's vaccination data were a bit weaker than a few of its other statistics in this area, such as its nursing hours data. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 88.15789 percent of its patients. We'd love to see some improvement herein this statistic in the future. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Forum at Overland Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Forum at Overland Park, 7.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Forum at Overland Park, 5.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Forum at Overland Park, 3.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Forum at Overland Park, 16.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Forum at Overland Park, 21.94% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Forum at Overland Park, 5.8% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Forum at Overland Park, 92.32% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Forum at Overland Park, 17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Forum at Overland Park, 21.37% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Forum at Overland Park, 21.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Forum at Overland Park, 10.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Forum at Overland Park, 74.66% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph1.96 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis1.97 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Concerto Kansas, LLC2.95 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist3.34 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway3.34 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood3.62 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Nall Dialysis3.83 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Timberlake Dialysis3.9 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827